history without equal
the history of prestwick Golf club is etched into the stone cairn
that marks the first tee of the original 12-hole course. from
here the first open championship was contested in 1860 by the
giants of the game.
of the 57 members who founded the club in 1851, few would
have expected to find six of the original greens still in play
today, still testing the best. they would also be able to hang
their tweed jackets in oak lockers built in 1882 and later retire
to the grand surroundings of the marvellously atmospheric
prestwick is a place of living history where old tom Morris and
his son became legends. it is a place of folklore and tradition
where the game of golf was shaped and theopenchampionship
reproduced by kind permission of the royal and ancient Golf club of St andrews.